Thursday, April 30, 2009

First sourdough bread

I made my first sourdough bread today. (well, the first since about 25 years ago when i was a young mother, anyway!)
I got some things from the King Arthur Flour company. Yesterday I 'fed' the sourdough starter several times as per instructions, and used it today for the first time. I would have liked it more sour, but I made it mild the first time on purpose so my husband wouldn't dislike it. I've decided it was a bit 'too' mild, so I will follow the 'stronger flavor instructions' next time.
I also used part whole wheat flour- 2 cups whole wheat to 3 cups unbleached white. I think this made it a little too dense for my taste, so next time I will do 1 cup whole wheat to 4 cups white instead.
The fresh bag of Red Star yeast worked quite nicely.
The recipe using 5 cups of flour and 1 cup of starter made two modest sized loaves, as you can see.


They look lovely, and they were fluffy and taste fine, but I think next time the two changes will improve it.
My next project will be an olive, onion, & sun-dried tomato loaf using the Artisan bread dough which is now mellowing in the fridge. Now that will be fun! Guess I'll have to try making foccacia at some point too.

No comments:

Post a Comment