Friday, April 3, 2009

Bread and worms

Well, I must have Spring Fever.
I've started two new projects to make my life more thoughtful and healthy.
First, I've ordered the book that so many have been raving about: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day. I got the missing stuff I'll need at the health food store and supermarket today...unbleached white flour, coarse salt, yeast, a new oven thermometer. And i actually found our pizza/baking stone right where I first looked for it. That thing hasn't been used in YEARS! Perfect for baking loaves on in the oven. Now all I have to do it wait for the book to arrive!
and
Second, I ordered a 'vermiculture' compost bin especially designed for worm composting- in essence a little earthworm farm that will be self-contained and the 1000+ worms will digest and compost all your kitchen scraps (even paper towels!) and eventually yield high quality worm castings as garden fertilizer. I can't wait! It takes up surprisingly little space (16"x16" x30" high) and seems fairly simple to do.
It's rather exciting to anticipate running a little 'worm farm' and receiving my red wriggler 'livestock' in the mail. I think I'm going to name it "The Lazy 'S' Worm Ranch".

No comments:

Post a Comment