Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The new Honeybees are here!!


I am SO EXCITED!! My two nuc/colonies of honeybees have arrived, unexpectedly early. It's a good thing I had already gotten everything prepared ahead of time. Each of the two boxes contains five frames full of bees plus a queen in a little cage for her travel protection. Literally thousands of honeybees.

I will be installing them into their brand new hives tomorrow afternoon once the day warms up. Meanwhile, they remain in their travel boxes overnight on my kitchen table....humming quietly and waiting to start their new adventure tomorrow.
Here is a little video I took today to capture the fascinating sight and sound of the boxes full of bees. If you click on it and watch it directly on YouTube, it will be a nicer sized (uncropped) view...

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting video. I wondered what nuc's looked like. I bet the post office workers couldn't wait til you picked them up. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I've been wondering how one would ship bees. It's pretty amazing that these bees can survive a trip from Georgia, across several states.

    ReplyDelete